Wednesday, March 30, 2016

We Love Ice Cream

Our family loves ice cream.  When I was a kid, I would have gladly eaten if for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  When my husband and I were first married and very poor college students, our date night included tv at home and splitting a carton of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk.

I have known for years that dairy and I do not mix.  My husband, whose love of dairy products is greater than most anyone I know, has also realized that he is allergic to dairy products.  Dairy is part of Samuel's elimination protocol and we are hoping that he will be able to tolerate it in the future.

We have tried various substitutes.   My go to was a coconut ice cream that can be found in the health food section of most grocery stores.  Samuel's favorite has always been to take frozen bananas and blend them up with other ingredients to make it into whatever flavor he chooses.  Fortunately, my husband will try anything even if it does not live up to his expectations.

I am happy to say that we have finally found a substitute that is so good that we keep way to much of it stocked in our freezer.  It is cashew ice cream.  Our favorite is the snicker doodle but, they have a really great chocolate as well.  We haven't tried the other flavors yet.  It is a little pricey at about $5.00 a carton but, not much more than a carton of Ben and Jerry's.

No comments:

Post a Comment