Saturday, February 27, 2016

And We Are Back!

Well, we are back, sort of.  I don't even know if anyone is still getting notifications about this page as it has been almost 4 years since the last post.  We put this up some years back to help people who were trying to figure out how to cook through food sensitivities and allergies.  We had to make some changes to our food plan for Samuel and this fell by the wayside.  I am so glad that we kept some of the recipes on here because we are on an elimination diet and I can find a few of his favorites.

Changing what you eat or following an elimination diet can seem daunting.  It isn't quite as difficult as one might think once you get into a pattern.  The difficult part is starting a new pattern and that pattern may eliminate a lot of social eating.  While that is hard, it can be a blessing!  It eliminates some of the junk we feel compelled to eat at social gatherings.  Take if from a pastor's wife, there are a lot of situations where there is food we cannot eat.

Back when we started this page, we were not on a whole family elimination diet.  Samuel was cutting out gluten, dairy, eggs and soy.  We also placed restrictions on MSG and preservatives.  Chris and I followed this diet as well....at home that is.  This time we are doing everything as a family for the most part.

Here is the plan:  We started an elimination diet almost 2 months ago.  We took out a long list of foods and once we feel confident that it has made a difference, we will add one back in at a time to see if we can find an offending food.  It will take months but, we are doing it carefully so we don't need to repeat it.  The add back in part will look a little bit different for each one of us based on food allergies that Chris and I have.  I'll update as we work through it.

What we took out:  Dairy from cows, Gluten, Eggs, Soy and Corn.  We also eliminated MSG, preservatives, and of course food dyes.  In addition, as I was reading labels, I just decided that we would switch to real food.  What does that mean for us, you ask?  When I read a label, for example on crackers, I must be able to find the ingredients in a store somewhere to make it myself.  So our crackers include garbanzo bean flour, which I can find in local grocery stores.  I thought that switch would be a pain but, it really hasn't been.  I do spend a bit more time in the kitchen though as I am making a lot from scratch.

What are we doing on here now that we are back?  I am going to post some favorite recipies....easy to complicated, sweets and savory and link you up with some great recipe websites.  I don't need to reinvent what is already out there.  The updates won't be super frequent because our life is very busy but, I'll try to post at least every week or so.

So, here we are.  Let me know if you have any special questions about how to eat with your particular food allergy or sensitivity.  I'm pretty good at substitutions!


No comments:

Post a Comment