Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hot Chocolate and Ice Skating

Once a year our new church hosts an ice skating night at the local arena.  This was Samuel's first time ice skating.  With how difficult he found it, I was surprised that he loved it.  It was the first time I had been on skates since 1988 and my feet found it painful but, we still had a good time.

There was no food served at this event but, they did provide hot chocolate.  Even though Samuel isn't one to complain about the foods that he cannot have, I do try to make him substitutes.  I did a quick search on the internet for homemade dairy free hot chocolate.  I gathered together some of the ingredients I found on the net and made my first batch.  Samuel loved it but, Chris and I both thought it could use a little more work.  My first batch was made with 4 cups of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1/8 tsp of vanilla. It was a little bit chalky tasting and had too much cinnamon.  My second batch turned out much better.  Unfortunately, as usual in my cooking, I didn't measure much of anything.   Here is my best estimation:

2 cups of So Delicious Coconut Milk
1 handful of of Enjoy Life Allergy Free Chocolate Chips
Some Agave Nectar - I think about 1/4 cup
A few shakes of cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
A pinch of salt
After tasting it I added about 1 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 TBSP of sugar

Warm it on the stove, stirring frequently, until the chocolate chips fully melt.
Turn it up so that it almost boils.  This helps it thicken to a more creamy consistency.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment